After I have checked into my hotel room. All I wanted to do for my first day here is to experience the good heritage of Penang. I decided to walk around through some of the streets and experience the heritage and find some good food along the way.
I would say it was a very good experience to walk through the streets.
Some of the streets in Penang are covered with some artistic art sculptures or drawings. A great time for photo-taking sessions with loved ones and bring home many sweet memories of Penang. The most famous and trademark of Penang art is the “Kids on bicycle” (you should not miss this one).
Remember to take more pictures of this when you are here. It is located at Lebuh Armenian (Armenian Street in English).
There are many others as well. You can find out more of the art works and their location at this website www.tourismpenang.net.my which I found very useful.
I enjoyed and loved all the good artworks.
So prepared yourself for the good walk with a good pair of shoes. I probably covered half the streets with a few hours of walking through the streets. While strolling there are many interesting places to visit like the
- Cheong Fatt Sze Mansion and there is a guided tour everyday (if i am not wrong ), 14, Leith St, Georgetown.
- Various Kongsi or Large Chinese Clan House (the popular Khoo Kongsi at 18, Cannon Square, George Town, Seh Tek Tong Cheah Kongsi at 8, Gat Lebuh Armenian..etc)
- St.George Church at Lebuh Farquhar, George Town.
- Kapitan Keling Mosque at 14, Jalan Buckingham, George Town
- Penang Islamic Museum at 128, Lebuh Acheh, George Town
- Clan Jetties of Penang at Pengkalan Weld, George Town
- Little India at Lebuh Pasar, George Town
- The Jubilee Clock Tower or Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower at Lebuh Light, George Town
- Fort Cornwallis at Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, George Town
- And many more unique museums like the Ghost Museum, Batik Painting Museum, Camera Museum, Trick Art Museum, Trick Art Museum..etc
(**Do take note, entry tickets have to purchased for some of the places.)
Here at Chew Jetty at Pengkalan Weld, don’t forget to eat the Durian Puffs.
Some of the places I did not manage to visit or enter as time was really short for me (I do recommend anyone for a longer stay). Please do find out the exact locations of these places using Google map which i did and printed them out and marking all the spots i wanted to visit prior to my trip. Unfortunately I did not cover them all due to time constraints but will do so in the next trip :).